Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How to paint a mural on a wood frame for first-timers?

I have a mirror with a medium colored wood frame that I'd like to paint white and then cover most of it with illustrations from a book. I have never painted on wood before--how would I go about this step by step? (The illustrations have colored backgrounds that I'd like to have fade into the white. If you have an easy way to do that, please let me know.)





I am usually just an oil painter on canvas and oil is what I feel most comfortable using due to being able to layer the paint with no problem. Keeping this in mind, please recommend what you think is the best paint (best looking and long lasting) for the job also.





Thank you in advance!How to paint a mural on a wood frame for first-timers?
You being an oil painter, I think you should stick with your strength's. Of coarse you'll have to prep the frame first. I haven't used oils in a long time but here's how I'd do it.





First sand the frame. You probably don't have to sand it all the way down. Just enough for the primer to have something to bite into. Then clean it with a good degreaser, and run it over with a tack cloth. Then prime it. I'm pretty sure you can even get gesso in a spray can. That would make things really easy. Now you're ready to paint. Bust out the oils and go nuts. With the blending properties of oils being what they are, I don't think you'll have any problem fading your backgrounds into white. When you're done, throw on a coat or two of varnish and you'll have yourself one custom painted mirror.





Good luck. Sounds like a fun project.How to paint a mural on a wood frame for first-timers?
I'm with Stitch - use oils! Sand, prime and go !!





But if your heart is set on acrylics, there's no reason you can't layer as you do with oils - the biggest difference is in drying time. Use a liquid polymer medium to thin the paint instead of water, just as you would use linseed and/or turps with your oils.





Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment