Sunday, February 21, 2010

I bought a pressed wood cabinet. It has a fake wood finish, I want to paint it black. How do I go about that?

Lightly sand the piece -- just enough to scuff up the piece a bit.


Then spray it with a primer like Kilz (you can get that at any hardware store) and then paint it. I would suggest getting a spray paint for a more even finish with no brush streaks. Also, don't get flat -- get semi-gloss or gloss, otherwise it will look like the finished piece is just primed black.


If the final finish is not ';shiny'; enough for you, you can also buy lacquers in gloss finishes to spray on top.


Have fun! I bought a pressed wood cabinet. It has a fake wood finish, I want to paint it black. How do I go about that?
Hi there,


Quite easily actually!





The main thing is determining that the surface is indeed wood.


If it's a laminate (man made) or a waxed surface it requires a different process.








So let me explain one of three things you can do.





鈥f it has a wax finish, that needs to be removed.


To the best of my knowledge, mineral spirits and a fine steel wool can do this. I would double check at your local paint store. There may be products out now for easier removal of furniture grade waxes.





鈥he main thing is the primer. Don't skip this step! The paint will not adhere well to the surface more than likely and you'll end up repainting it in a very short amount of time, due to the paint scratching off.


Trust me, it's happened to us all!





Choosing the correct primer is the most important thing you can do for a good result.


Check out your local hardware store (Or Lowe's, Home Depot etc. have it as well) and locate the Zinsser Products which you can familiarize yourself with by looking at this page:





http://www.zinsser.com/subcat.asp?Catego鈥?/a>





Find the product that best suits your needs. Priming painted or un-painted wood or priming all surfaces.


I might suggest using Cover Stain to be sure you're ';covering the bases'; so to speak! It works on every surface. I've used it many times (I even painted an old countertop I hated the color of once!)





Keep in mind that these are oil based products and need to be cleaned up with mineral spirits.








It's one source of confusion as to what paint can go over what.





Keep this in mind; anything can go over water based products,


however, only oil can go over oil based products unless it's primed first using an oil or water based primer. Both can be top coated with water based paint.





Do not try to use a water based paint over an oil based paint without priming it first.


It will not adhere well.





Hope this helps!


Best,


Priscilla O'Kelly Wilkinson - Interior Designer


Sanctuary Design


Portland, Maine














I bought a pressed wood cabinet. It has a fake wood finish, I want to paint it black. How do I go about that?
sand the piece before you paint it. ask your paint store for the right kind of paint to use. and then paint!
  • myspace pages
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment