Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How to remove paint from finished wood work?

Hi


We purchased a post and beam home - lots of pine everywhere - walls, ceiling, floor. I have noticed that the previous owners have dripped paint on some of the beams and I would like to remove it - somehow? I'm tempted to lightly sand it off and then get some clear varnish to seal up the scuffed up area. My husband is convinced I'll ruin it but I personally don't think it can look any worse. Are there any tips, secrets or techniques anyone can share with me how I can do this myself? The wood does have some stain on it but its a very light colour (I wouldn't sand down to bare wood).





Any advice greatly appreciated, and thanks.How to remove paint from finished wood work?
i guessing the paint drips are white , and there from when the cieling was painted? are the beams varnished? if so and the paint is water based,(a little easier) oil based tends to seep into the wood, use a razor blade and carefully cut the paint off. the closer to the wood the better, without scratching the varnish, take your time.. then use a fine steel wool to remove the rest of the paint, it should kinda buff out.How to remove paint from finished wood work?
if it's latex paint you could try rubbing alcohol. it dissolves latex paint and shouldn't hurt the finish on the beam which should be an oil based product. test an inconspicuous spot first.
There i no secret you could just buy paint remover and remove it with a rag try not to do any scraping Good Luck
I have used (goof off) and it works great. But don't get it on anything that is made of plastic because it will melt it.
would paint thinner work, idk. i just believe it would work because of the name

No comments:

Post a Comment